Three days ago, on the 1st of May, I started my 80/10/10 raw vegan 30-day trial, which is one of my new year resolutions for this year. I used to be very skeptical about this whole raw business; why would your health get better when you eat raw?
How come I’m less of a skeptic now? A few of my friends have tried eating raw, and every single one of them has reported health improvements. I’m always trying to improve my health, and the benefits intrigued me. So I’m excited to try this diet and see how my health changes over these 30 days 🙂
80/10/10 raw vegan 30-day trial in a nutshell
- 80/10/10 is the macronutrient distribution, in English: 80% of the calories comes from carbs, 10% from fats, 10% from proteins
- Raw means that I will only eat uncooked food, i.e., nothing can be heated more than to 50° C (122° F)
- Vegan, yes you guessed it, no animal products
- 30-day trial means I will try this diet for 30 days and see how it goes 😉
Why raw vegan?
As I mentioned, I’ve been skeptical about how much difference eating raw can do for your physical, but also for your mental health. But when five of my friends noticed health improvements, while eating raw vegan, it’s hard to ignore that. And it makes sense that your health will be affected by what you eat; everybody knows that if you only eat at fast-food restaurants, your health will deteriorate.
The one thing I’m still skeptical about is that I will notice a huge difference. My diet before was vegetarian, and to be honest I didn’t notice anything when I went from a carnivore eater to a vegetarian. I’ve heard others make claims that they feel better, but I didn’t notice any of that. I’m not saying they’re lying, I’m sure they noticed a difference, but I didn’t. We’re all different and our bodies react differently. That’s why I’m skeptical about that I’ll notice a huge difference in my physical and mental health, but that’s for the future to tell 🙂
Some results I’d like to see (that other have noticed) include
- A clear mind, which makes it easy to focus
- Lots of energy throughout the day (not tired in the afternoon)
- Easy to focus during the afternoon and evening
- Cured of my grass pollen allergy (while I eat raw)
Curing my grass pollen seems like a long shot, but if it’s happened to others, it might as well happen to me. If the diet heals me, then I might continue to eat raw during the whole summer 🙂
To be honest, I chose the 80/10/10 diet just because I wanted some structure and it seemed easier than just eating raw vegan. But in reality, it’s the opposite: A lot harder than just eating raw. But it comes with one benefit: I’m counting all the calories, carbs, fats, and proteins I’m getting. This means I can track how much I’ve eaten and see if I’m getting enough nutrients, especially protein, throughout the day.
A scientific approach
Before I started this experiment, I asked around to see what people were interested in from the experiment. I got a huge number of responses. That made me really glad, to see that so many people were interested in my results and the journey 😀
Here’s a list of things I’d like to either measure or bring up.
- Effects on social life
- What benefits and difficulties do I expect?
- My emotional journey. What was easy/hard?
- Why did I choose this diet
- Record when I have a difficult or euphoric moment
- Where do I buy my food, how to I transport it, and how do I store it?
- Show my food shopping
- How do I deal with cravings
- How much did I change my diet?
- When, and how much will I eat?
- How much is carbs, fat, and protein?
- Is the food organic?
- Effects on mental clarity
- Weight gain, or loss
- Body fat
- Glucose levels
- Cholesterol (including triglyceride) levels
- Blood pressure and pulse
- Am I more or less thirsty, and how much do I drink?
- How much do I sleep, and is my sleep quality affected?
- Mood during the day
- Energy levels during the day
- Economical cost
- Stamina changes
- Body odour
- How have my routines changed?
Daily video updates
To cover all the topics above I decided to do a 30-day video challenge, and post a video per day 🙂
The videos make it easy for you to follow my journey if you’d like to.
- Status update
- Energy levels
- Any struggles (including cravings)?
- Anything going extremely well?
- Topic of the day
The topic of the day is where I go deep into one of the subjects. For example, how my routines have changed, or I’ll show a slide with charts how my cholesterol changes throughout a typical day.
What would you like to know?
What are you most interested to from this experiment? Is there anything you’d like me to cover in the videos, or a longer article? Please, comment below 🙂
Get a free worsheet
Get a free PDF for helping you create a fun, fulfilling, and satisfied life 🙂